When we consider how much the automotive industry has evolved over the years, we can see major changes. When LED came into the picture within headlights, carmakers had gone over all the options with what lights they could use with specific models. LEDs have a lot going for them above the halogen and HID lights that are in the industry. But what kind of benefits do we have when we change from the standard bulb to a LED bulb? In this article, we will go over the advantages and the disadvantages of LED lighting. Let’s get started!
If you look at the technical term for the term LED light, it is a light-emitting diode and has two lead semiconductor light sources. The lead electrons can recombine with electron holes releasing its energy in photon energy, but we see it as light. The amount of energy that is needed to light up a LED is far less than some of its headlight counterparts.
When we talk about how the brightness compares to that of standard automotive headlights, we can see that LED’s are brighter than halogen lights. LED lights can also be manipulated to be fitted for all shapes for different headlight designs on automobiles. The LED light doesn’t emit heat when they light up making it ideal for daytime and running lights.
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are more advantages than disadvantages when it comes to LED lighting source for your vehicle. Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages below.
- Controllable: LED’s can be controlled for the amount of light and color it emits.
- Brightness: Brighter than halogen headlights while being comparable to xenon headlights.
- Energy Efficient: LED’s can put out 135 lumens per watt that is far more efficient than the alternatives. This can be very effective for Hybrid vehicles.
- Rugged Light: LED lights are made up of a solid material with no bulb to break.
- Easily Manufactured: LED’s can be printed onto circuit boards and designed for specific lighting purposes whether interior or exterior lighting.
- Safe: LED’s contain no mercury, unlike other counterpart lighting.
- Expensive: When looking at alternative lighting sources, LED’s initially cost more.
- Voltage: LED’s have to have the correct voltage to function correctly.
When you look at LED lighting from an automotive perspective, you will quickly be able to see that it would be in your best interest to install this type of lighting into your vehicle. To have a quality LED bulb for automotive uses then look no further than 1157 led bulb. This LED lighting source has revolutionized the automotive world today.